Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Checking in on the Acorn Rainbow - November 2009

It's been a month since I last checked in on my acorn rainbow.  The leaves are off the trees now and my mossy stump is clearly visible against the dying vegetation.  The moss is changing color too, offering a shocking lime green against the brown oak leaves.


Only three of the original 6 acorns are visible.  The other three have either been carried off by curious critters or are hidden beneath the leaf litter.


The purple acorn is nestled in a bed of sporophytes.


The green one is looking a little fuzzy, but I'm pleasantly surprised how well they've all held up against the elements thus far.  We've had a lot of rain and it's snowed twice already....I suppose my hair would be a bit fuzzy by now too.


The orange one had been pushed off the stump and I gingerly pulled the leaves back to find it.

In a disturbing turn of events, an offering of another type took place near my mossy stump.  Just a few feet away I found the remains of our missing hen.  She had clearly been supper for a fox, eagle, or owl.  She had gone missing about a week ago and after she disappeared the other hens spent the next few days hiding under the coop, which told us that they had seen her abduction.  When an eagle had taken our duck, the other chickens hid under my porch for almost a week.  Though sad, it's part of the reality of living in the woods.

Next month the stump will likely be covered in snow, but I'll check back in to see if I can catch a glimpse of the acorns.  


4 comments:

KarenB said...

They look so at home and still so beautiful! I love it that you did this little "experiment". Maybe some Momma Squirrel has taken them back to her place and is using them to brighten up her home. ;-) So sorry, though, about your hen.

Karen @ Elderberry Street

lynn bowes said...

Oh poor hen - I think there must be special blessings for an animal that gives up life so another can be fed. Lessons in life.

Brittany | the Home Ground said...

If I were a forest critter, I probably would've taken your acorns, too... Sorry :)

I'm sorry about your poor hen. One of my mom's chicks was lunch for a hawk a while back. Just part of it, I suppose. A sad one, though.

Becky Shander said...

Your felted acorns are just so darn adorable - they made me smile the instant I saw them. Thanks for this little burst of happiness.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails