Saturday, May 22, 2010

Weekend Wander


The weather doesn't seem to know what it's going to do today.  The sky is a solid dove grey, but as of yet, it hasn't rained.  I thought I'd sneak out for a few minutes this morning while the kids were eating their oatmeal, and before the busy-ness began.  Our house seems to be a constant rumble of running feet and fighting siblings these days so I take any chance I can get at a few minutes of quiet.  These moments are few and far between so I relish them.


I noticed that a piece of birch bark had blown off my pile in the back yard and when I retrieved it, I saw that some little wasp had begun building a corsage on my bark.  It appears that there are even some little eggs in that flower-shaped nest. 


 I wasn't sure if these guys were still viable so I put the piece of bark out in the woods to give them a fair chance at survival.

It seems my hens have been pecking at my hens and chicks, but they're still going strong.  They're putting out a lot of babies, and I'm happy to have them spread.  You'll notice a glimpse of lace in the background of what I'm calling a "Margie hack".  More on that another time.


The last of the juneberry flowers is dying off and with luck we'll get a few berries this year.  Sadly it has positioned itself right next to an oak that has died and will have to be removed.  If it falls it will certainly hit the house.  We've lost a number of oaks in the last few years and have an increasing collection of stumps in our yard.  Even when dead, oak stumps are ridiculously difficult to remove.  We don't usually fight it, and either plant around them or in them, if the center is hollow, but it pains me to see them die.   


A little wild strawberry plant popped up in my flower bed again right after I weeded.  They're pretty, but they have the whole woods (and yard) to grow in and I'm trying to keep them out of my flower bed.  They, and the creeping charlie, seem to keep the bees happy though while they wait for the rest of the woods to flower.


Well, thanks for coming along on my little wander.  I hope you have a wonderful weekend.  Any wandery plans yourselves?

 

7 comments:

Cori Lynn Berg said...

I always love your blog... I dont have a wood to walk in so it's nice you share yours with me. ♥

Pesky Cat Designs said...

You live in such beautiful surroundings!

Eva said...

Glad you enjoyed a moment of quiet and it was good to see your plants. I wandered into our wood earlier. It's a rare few days of summery weather here which is nice.

Vintage Tracy said...

I can't imagine how you even manage a moment of peace like this. Good for you. You deserve it!

Kim van Waardenburg said...

What a nice walk!!
I feel refreshed too. Thanks heap.

Valerie said...

I love that wooded walk, and really appreciate the chance to come along! We lived in wooded Virginia when I was young, and your walks remind me of then. What a nice memory!

Margie Oomen said...

that's okay because nature and i teamed up this weekend for a lisa hack

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails