Tuesday, March 05, 2013

I am acorn, hear me roar

Whoa.
Proof that they really do grow 'em big in Texas.  A gift from Christine at Rustic Carvings and Creations, some enormous, mutant acorn caps that have my mouth agape.

 Just look at it compared to an acorn from my yard- a decent-sized one even, and a smallish double acorn cap sent to me from Trish in Florida.  Huge!!

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with these yet, but I need to make something with them because they are awesome.

I'd love to gather some of these at acorn season for bread, it would cut my processing time in half!  And I bet my ducks wouldn't be able to gobble these up and leave me without acorns either.

So cool, thank you for sending them, Christine.

6 comments:

Sonia / COZY MEMORIES said...

speechless !!!!!

Anonymous said...

Acorn cap envy!!

Elizabeth's quarters said...

Crikey, imagine the size of the oak tree that would produce! As for what to do with them, it does rather look like a bird in a nest.

Anonymous said...

The tree are shaggy bark oaks. They make wonderful bird nest ornaments for Christmas trees. one of your felted birds would be nice in a nest in the cap. It would also be a great roof for a fairy house.

Glo said...

My alma mater is home to a wonderful oak collection. There are trees from all over the world.

http://arboretum.ucdavis.edu/oak-collection.aspx

The oaks have interpretive ceramic plaques created by children, featuring leaves, acorns, the critters that make it a home, and any other interesting details. For example, the plaque for the Quercus suber (the Cork Oak) has Ferdinand the Bull and a bottle of wine :-)

http://dedications.ucdavis.edu/oak_plaques_all.php

The trees can be dedicated, and I was very touched that the Cork Oak was presented to the memory of a dear professor of Wine Microbiology.

Lisa, I know one of these days you will make it to California. I'll be happy to give you a tour!

Christine said...

You're very welcome, Lisa. Anytime! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails